Crabtree, Rohrbaugh & Associates Project Receives Central PA AIA Excellence In Design Citation Award – Gettysburg Area Middle School
Crabtree, Rohrbaugh & Associates – Architects has been awarded a 2015 Central PA AIA Excellence in Design Award for the Gettysburg Area Middle School project (Gettysburg Area School District, Gettysburg, PA) from the Central PA Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA). The 2015 Excellence in Design Awards were held on November 2, 2015 at the Susquehanna Art Museum in Harrisburg, PA.
This year’s Design Award Jury was from AIA Memphis Chapter and consisted of four Principals from architectural firms in the Memphis Area. Juror comments about the project included:
- The courtyard plan configuration highlights the architect’s intentional and successful use of natural daylighting as a primary feature of the interior spaces.
- The massing and use of materials provides a nice variety of scale and texture.
- The massing of exterior façade treatment is simple and straightforward – well edited.
- Despite the odd juxtaposition of the main circulation system, the interior of the spaces were well organized and defined by this system.
- It is apparent the architects spent considerable time composing lean utilitarian construction components into a taut, crisp, and pleasant educational interior.
The new Middle School is 197,000 SF of new construction and was completed in October 2014.